ERC Research Papers
Digest of Energy Statistics 2008
Published August 2008
Compiled and edited by Nigel Hawkins and Dan Lewis
Most energy statistcs are meaningless - without a context. The Digest of Energy Statistics 2008 is the first annual report which includes - amongst its 27 tables - selected World and EU rankings on electricity consumption, energy reserves, electricity and gas prices, energy efficiency, carbon efficiency and the comparative cost of electricity generating technologies.
• Table 1: World Coal Reserves
• Table 2: World Natural Gas Reserves
• Table 3: Producers of Hydro Electricity
• Table 4: World Nuclear Output
• Table 5: World Nuclear Investment
• Table 6: Leading Producers, Exporters and Importers of Electricity
• Table 7: Electricity Production from Fossil Fuels
• Table 8: Energy Efficiency (Output v Input at Nominal GDP)
• Table 9: Energy Efficiency (Output vy Input at PPP)
• Table 10: Energy Inefficiency (Output v Input at Nominal GDP)
• Table 11: Energy Inefficiency (Output v Input at PPP)
• Table 12: Highest Energy Consumers
• Table 13: Lowest Energy Consumers
• Table 14: Carbon Efficiency ($ of Output v Co2 Input)
• Table 15: Carbon Inefficiency ($ of Output v Co2 Input)
• Table 16: The Highest Users of Electricity (per capita)
• Table 17: The Lowest Users of Electricity (per capita)
• Table 18: EU Final Energy Consumption (1,000 toe)
• Table 19: EU Total Gross Electricity Consumpution (GWh)
• Table 20: EU Renewable Energy (as a %age of gross electricity consumption)
• Table 21: EU Carbon Emissions
• Table 22: EU Electricity Prices for Major Inudstrial Users
• Table 23: EU Gas Prices for Major Industrial Users
• Table 24: EU Domestic Electricity Prices
• Table 25: EU Domestic Gas Prices
• Table 26: Comparative Generation Costs - Wind and Conventional
• Table 27: Comparative Generation Costs - Renewables
Members can download this publication here.
Non-members can purchase ERC publications via Paypal. Please select the title and format (where available) of the publication you wish to order from the drop-down menu below.
If ordering a paper copy, please allow up to 5 working days for delivery. If ordering a digital copy, it will be emailed to you as soon as possible following payment (usually within 1 working day).
The full list to purchase research papers from the archives, and their paper and electronic availabilities, is below.
For older publications, please see our Historical Archive.