ERC Research Papers
The Essential Guide to EU Quangos 2009
Published February 2009
by Dan Lewis and Glen Ruffle
Europe is heading into the deepest recession of the post-war period but there is not yet a debate about how to curtail EU public expenditure on its quangos.
Amongst other findings, the report also reveals which bodies have the largest budget, spend the most on staff, the rapid growth in agencies and makes policy recommendations for reform-minded EU policymakers.
The Essential Guide to EU Quangos 2009 does this and more, by answering these questions of the 36 bodies;
• What is their annual budget?
• What do they spend on staff costsa and basic salaries?
• What is their defined role?
• Where are they located?
• How many staff do they have?
• Who is in charge and what nationality are they?
• Do they duplicate existing public sector activity?
• Do they crowd out private sector activity?
• Could their role be competitively outsourced to the private sector?
Members can download this publication here.
Non-members can purchase ERC publications via Paypal. Please select the title and format (where available) of the publication you wish to order from the drop-down menu below.
If ordering a paper copy, please allow up to 5 working days for delivery. If ordering a digital copy, it will be emailed to you as soon as possible following payment (usually within 1 working day).
The full list to purchase research papers from the archives, and their paper and electronic availabilities, is below.
For older publications, please see our Historical Archive.